Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday November 6, 2002

1. Call to order

Acting President Ed Henry, County of Marin, called the meeting to order at 12:17 P.M. at The Quail Inn at the Oakmont Golf Center.

2. Self Introductions

Acting Pres. Henry welcomed 17 members and called for self-introductions.

3. Approval of Minutes

Ed Henry made the minutes corrections that were emailed to him prior to the meeting and additional corrections were proposed at the meeting. For a copy of the minutes or agenda go to the website at (

M/s/Passed to accept the minutes as corrected.

4. Program

The program was postponed to the last portion of the meeting due to the amount of discussion anticipated over the meeting days, dates and locations.
The program was the discussion and approval of the bylaws.

M/s/Passed to delay effective date of any action taken by the chapter on the November 6, 2002 meeting to November 9, 2002.

5. Officers and Committee Reports

a. Treasurer

Tres.Willer, City of American Canyon, gave the balances as follows; the checking account balance is $2,371.00, the money market account is $2,641.99, the education fund is $3041.69 and the CD is $11,269.59.

b. Secretary

Nothing to Report


c. Vice President

Nothing to Report

d. President

Nothing to Report

e. Executive Committee

Nothing to report.

f. Education Committee

The education committee has set dates for February and March for the California Building Code updates. The non-structural update will be a one-day program and be presented for two days consecutively so the larger offices will not have to deplete their office of all staff for the training. The structural will he scheduled the same way.

Ken Larson will present the non-structural and Jerry Neville will present the structural. The dates in February will be the 13th and 14th. The dates for March will be the 20th and 21st.

The new meeting dates have been selected for January and February, the January date is the 7th and the location is the Vineyard Creek Hotel. We have our own private room and the Phillips Group is picking up the luncheon cost. The Vineyard Creek Hotel is in the new convention center on the corner of 3rd and Old Redwood Highway in Santa Rosa. The February date is the 4th and the location will be Lund's Café restaurant located at 1096 Petaluma Blvd. North in Petaluma, right across the street from the police station. Tentatively, the April 1st meeting is scheduled to be held at Rings Restaurant in the Embassy Suites Hotel at 101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael.

The committee members present were
Mark Lewitter and Ed Henry.

M/S/Passed to accept the locations for the first two meetings of the next year.

g. Code Development Committee

Nothing to Report

CALBO Report

The education week was very successful. More than 700 were in attendance for the classes, seminars and workshops. Next year CALBO will offer more education events than this year. It was decided to contact CALBO to arrange an ATC-20 class in the Redwood Empire Chapter area. Dave Martinez, a CALBO instructor, said he could present the class when arrangements have been completed through CALBO. Dave reported that the new certification program for the ATC-20 registration requires that the cardholder be a registered plan checker, building inspector, building official, architect or an engineer.

The probable date for the ATC-20 class would be April or May. However, Dave Martinez said he could be able to present the class as early as late January. The cost would be in the $135 range, the location would be the Windsor City Council Chambers. There is a possibility that we will have a sponsor for the luncheon and breaks.

i. ICBO Report

No report.

j. Location Committee

The locations committee has set the first two months date and location. The January meeting is on the 7th and will be held at the Vineyard Creek Hotel in Santa Rosa on the corner of 3rd and Old Redwood Highway, the February meeting will be held at Lund's Café in Petaluma at 1096 Petaluma Blvd. North, right across the street from the police station. The set up for our meeting was discussed and other chapter's process was considered when the chapter decided to keep the present type of meeting without the program.

6. Correspondence and Announcements

Nothing to report.

7. Old Business

No Old Business

8. New Business

It was M/s/Passed to authorize Tres. Willer to perform the presentations to the outgoing chapter president.

9. Legislative News

Michael Enright mentioned that the new 2005 lighting standards will effect parking lot lighting and the new proposed standards are available for viewing on the CEC website.

Dave Martinez recommended that anyone able to buy back military time for retirement should do so as soon as possible at the rate will increase in 2003.

10. Code Issues

Guy Bachelis - What are the requirements for accessibility in dwellings? None

Bill Talley - What is the requirement for accessible parking in existing lots? Santa Rosa requires permit to stripe lots so accessibility can be monitored. Owners have the responsibility to comply w/ADA.

Bill Talley - What are the requirements for ramps into loading areas? Michael Enright said the regulations changed in the 2001.

Anonymous - What is the requirement for underfloor access? The Building Code requires 18"X 24" opening. The new language "allowing for pipes and ducts" appears to be language to clarify the existing regulation and require that the access be 18 X 24 clear opening with no blockage within those parameters.

Ed Henry - Has jurisdiction change for the placement of tents on private property? No

11. Nominations Committee

The nominations were made to the chapter last month and the elections will be next month. The new officers will take office in January.

12. Adjournment

M/s/Passed to adjourn the meeting at 1:45 P.M.

Respectfully submitted by Ed Henry