Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday October 9, 2002

1. Call to order

President Chris Warrick, County of Mendocino called the meeting was called to order at 12:00 P.M. at The Quail Inn at the Oakmont Golf Center.

2. Self Introductions

Pres. Warrick welcomed 15 members and called for self-introductions.

3. Approval of Minutes

Ed Henry made the minutes corrections that were emailed to him prior to the meeting and no additional correction were proposed at the meeting. For a copy of the minutes or agenda go to the website at (

M/s/Passed to accept the minutes as corrected.

4. Program

The program was postponed to the last portion of the meeting due to the amount of discussion anticipated over the meeting days, dates and locations.

The program was the discussion and approval of the bylaws. Cindy Heitzman provided a clean copy of the revised bylaws and a discussion ensued. The bylaws were ratified by five members of the chapter via email assent and approval 15 days before the meeting. Members were noticed of the bylaw changes by email prior to the meeting. The bylaw changes will take effect on the 9th of November. The next business meeting will be the 6th of November and any action taken by the chapter on that meeting date will be effective on the 10th of November, this may or may not include elections, grants, approval of meeting locations and event approvals.

M/s/Passed to delay effective date of any action taken by the chapter on the November 6, 2002 meeting to November 9, 2002.

M/s/Passed to approve the bylaw changes.

5. Officers and Committee Reports

a. Treasurer

Tres.Willer, City of American Canyon, gave the balances as follows; the checking account balance is $2,667.60, the money market account is $2,649.64, the education fund is $3041.14 and the CD is $11,269.59.

b. Secretary

Nothing to Report


c. Vice President

Nothing to Report

d. President

Nothing to Report

e. Executive Committee

Nothing to report.

f. Education Committee

Cindy Heitzman, City of Saint Helena, reported that the committee had several proposals to present to the chapter concerning education. The first was to schedule ICBO to give nonstructural and structural seminars in the months of February (structural) and March (nonstructural). Each month would consist of two consecutive one-day seminars with each day covering the same material. This way the multi-employee divisions will not have to deplete their office for one day when they can send half of the employees one day and the other half the following day. The second seminar proposed is the update, to the 1999 National Electrical Code, presented by Bill Clark. Additional topics will be added and scheduled during the year.

The next item proposed is to make the luncheon meeting strictly a business and code discussion meeting and to schedule all programs into other make up meetings or half day seminars. The half-day seminars presented previously were very successful and we already have one program proposed for a half-day seminar, that being "Lateral Bracing" presented by Ted Thorhaug of MKM and Associates. The cost of the seminars will be nominal as we have enough to cover the costs in our treasury.

The third proposal is to reschedule the meeting dates to the first Tuesday of each month to allow many of our members to attend the meeting that they could not make on Wednesday. Most of the members attending did not object to the change of days.

The committee members present were Cindy Heitzman, Daryl Phillips, Larry Jones and Ed Henry.

After some discussion concerning the change and reasons therefore, the group took a vote to direct the committee to continue with the proposals and changes.

M/S/Passed to direct the committee to proceed with the scheduling of the seminars and to report at the next meeting with the permanent schedule of meeting dates and locations for the first Tuesday of each month.

g. Code Development Committee

Nothing to Report

h. ICBO Committee

Dave Martinez reported that the code development schedule will now change to an eighteen-month cycle instead of a yearly cycle. The three code development bodies voted to consolidate into the International Code Council. All three voted for new board members for their individual organizations. They did this for a smooth transition from the individual organizations to the International organization. The board members will only be in place for six months. There are a number of people from various areas running for the board member positions of the ICC. There will not be another election for the ICC representatives for two years. Next years annual business meeting will be in Nashville, Tennessee, the following year will be in Salt Lake City, Utah and year after that in Baltimore, Maryland. All in all the meeting went very well and many items were finalized. The chapter does not have to do anything to become an ICC chapter, as we will be adopted into the parent organization. Paperwork will be forwarded to the officers of the chapter to abide by in order to use the ICC logo, name and to affiliate the chapter with the ICC. ICBO will dissolve after six months.

i. CALBO Liaison

California Building Standards Commision will have a meeting next week and Dave Martinez urges everyone to attend. There is a possibility that there will be a discussion concerning the direction of the different state agencies looking to adopt the NFPA 5000 or the IBC. The discussion may be delayed to February because the fire code will not be out until March. If the discussion is delayed it may delay the next code adoption cycle an additional year. He mentioned other meetings including the FPO meeting in Monterey where adoption of the codes will be discussed.

Cindy Heitzman announced the Education Week for CTI and the program concerning the case study of Los Angles and the interaction of various city departments focusing on resolving issues and coordination of the groups to establish the City of Los Angles Adaptive Reuse Ordinance. She also reported on the FPO meeting last month and the consensus to lean toward accepting and supporting the adoption of the IBC. She urges all to attend the FPO meeting next month on the 18th in Vacaville and the following months meeting in San Rafael. The meetings are held on the third Thursday of the month.

j. Location Committee

The location committee will meet and propose a few different locations of the meetings to the chapter for review and selection for the coming year.

6. Correspondence and Announcements

Nothing to report.

7. Old Business

No Old Business

8. New Business

Daryl Phillips proposed a locations committee be established and that Ed Henry and he will work together to determine locations and dates to bring back to the chapter for approval. A proposal was made to establish four locations for the year's coming meeting outside of our base area of Santa Rosa. San Rafael, Petaluma, Sonoma or Calistoga and Cloverdale or Ukiah. This will give the other members too remotely located from the Santa Rosa area to attend some of the meetings.

9. Legislative News

Bill Schulze has reported that the governor has approved a bill regarding second units. The bill requires jurisdictions to eliminate the discretionary process for second units, set up specific rules for zoning laws and regulations and review the permit applications on a ministerial basis.

10. Code Issues

Ed Henry asked if any jurisdiction is asking for glass used in guardrails be supported on all four sides. The consensus was that a design be provided and the strength of the glass and deflection should determine whether, or not, the support can be eliminated on any side.

A question was asked as to how the accessible appeal process works and how the appeals board is made up. The code specifically determines how the board is set up and how and what members are selected. It was a consensus of the group that any appeal shall follow the process set up in the code.

11. Nominations Committee

The slate of officers for nomination was presented to the chapter as follows:

For the office of President-Ed Henry, County of Marin
For the office of Vice President- Bill Shulze, Town of Windsor
For the office of Treasurer-Daryl Phillips, The Phillips Group
For the office of Secretary- Tom Carlton, City of Lakeport

12. Adjournment

M/s/Passed to adjourn the meeting at 2:00 P.M.

Respectfully submitted by Ed Henry