Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday September 4, 2002

1. Call to order

President Chris Warrick, County of Mendocino called the meeting was called to order at 12:05 P.M. at The Quail Inn at the Oakmont Golf Center.

2. Self Introductions

Pres. Warrick welcomed 15 members and called for self-introductions.

3. Approval of Minutes

Don Morton point out that the Code Development Committee was working on a survey for standardizing minimum requirements for the amendments to the California model codes and not the amendments proper. (

M/s/Passed to accept the minutes as distributed.

4. Program

The program this meeting was the discussion of the various ways to increase the meeting attendance and program interest. Here is a not too brief synopsis of the discussion.

1. Meeting: It was suggested that the meeting be held in different locations each month. Hold alternate month meeting in the north and south areas respectively. Some in the Petaluma area others in the Santa Rosa area and twice a year hold a meeting in a more remote area such as Clear Lake or Mendocino. We will carry on at the Quail Inn for the remainder of the year, when, we elect new officers. The new officers and the newly created committees will bring suggestions to the board for programs, educational events and meeting places for the coming year. It was also suggested that the code discussion and problem solving portion of the meeting be moved to the front end of the meeting so the members can bring a problem to the meeting, gain a solution and still be able to leave and get back to his or her office. We also discussed changing the time and day of the meeting. For the program portion of the next meeting all of these item will be discussed again.

2. Education and Programs: It was suggested that we use our own resources for our educational programs. Our own Architects, Engineers, Building Inspectors and Contractors can put together a twenty-minute program for our group. It was also suggested that we are trying to do too much each meeting and that the business meeting with a code discussion be separated from the educational programs we put on. The group can get together for a lunch, get the business of the organization done and discuss code requirements, problems and solutions. At a separate time every so often (tri-monthly, bi-monthly or monthly) put a full-day or half-day seminar together on a subject in which we are all interested.

3. Bylaws: A lengthy discussion ensued concerning the changes in the bylaws and the voting rights of the members. The possibility of other than a government employee holding office in the organization was discussed and the organization did not feel threatened by that possibility. All of the changes in name, chapter references and classification of membership was discussed and the changes will be made and ready for distribution by the next meeting. A copy of the bylaws will be sent out to all of the class A members and they will be asked to vote either by proxy on the email or by personal appearance to substantially change the composition of the organization. Most of the attending members of this meeting feel that the change of bylaws can only be for the better. Please remember to get your vote in on the bylaw changes, because we need two-thirds of the A members to approve a bylaw change.

4. Name Change: We had a number of suggestions for a name change, some printable, some not. Some very good acronyms were presented and some not so hot. So we decided to hold a contest to pick our new name. Suggestions are requested. Please send your name change suggestions to Ed Henry. The names will be presented to the members of the organization and they will vote to pick a winner. The winner will be awarded a free lunch meeting of our organization to be used at his or her discretion and a certificate of achievement for suggesting the most popular name. So put on your thinking cap and come up with something really original.

5. Officers and Committee Reports

a. Treasurer

Tres.Willer, City of American Canyon, gave the balances as follows; the checking account balance is $2665.34, the business account is $2797.52, the education fund is $3040.16 and the CD is $11,155.92.

b. Secretary

The secretary had nothing to report but was directed by the group to book the Quail Inn for the next three meetings to take us up through December. He was also directed to send out the bylaw changes with the minutes so the class members could review and vote by email on the changes or in person at the next meeting. Please remember to get your vote in on the bylaw changes, because we need two-thirds of the A members to approve a bylaw change.


c. Vice President

The vice presidents seat is open and the secretary is temporarily assuming the duties.

d. President

President Warrick has nothing to report.

e. Executive Committee

Nothing to report.

f. Education Committee

Ed Henry due to the amount of extracurricular work he is involved in has surrendered his chairmanship of the Education Committee to Cindy Heitzman, City of Saint Helena. Daryl Phillips, Ed Henry, Larry Jones and Marty Price are also members of the education committee. The education committee will meet within the next couple of months and bring back suggestions for seminars and training sessions.
The free electrical and NFPA 5000 education seminars promised by the NEC if those two codes are adopted, have to be requested by the State of California due to their adoption of the NEC. The state indicated that there was no money to sponsor the seminars so CALBO was approached to work with the state and request the seminars to be provided. CALBO and the State of California will
co-sponsor the seminars.

g. Code Development Committee

Don Morton reported that the minutes contained an error and the committee was in fact working on a survey of amendments adopted by various jurisdictions and trying to establish a minimum number of requirements acceptable to all of the jurisdictions for adopting amendments to the state model codes.

h. ICBO Committee

Nothing to report.

i. CALBO Liaison

Dave Martinez, City of Santa Rosa, reported that CALBO will have a board meeting next week in Anaheim. CALBO fire committee met last week and the meeting was very productive. The NFPA 5000 will be available for purchase the last week in August or the first two weeks in September. The fire sprinkler requirement, for single-family dwellings, has been removed from the NFPA 5000. The meeting sparked CALBO board to meet and discuss the possibility of supporting one common code.

j. Location Committee

The location committee will meet and propose a few different locations, times and types of meeting to the chapter for review and selection for the coming year.

6. Correspondence and Announcements

The Northern California Fire Prevention Officer's meeting is in Petaluma this month on the 23 of September at 9.30 a.m. at the Lucchesi Center located on North McDowell opposite the K-Mart/Plaza Shopping Center. If interested either contact Doug Williams or the Nor-Cal Fire Prevention Officer web site link listed on the REICBO link page (

7. Old Business

The location and price of our luncheons was discussed and will remain constant at lease for the next three months. The locations committee will suggest alternative locations and times within the next three months and the final decision will be made after the new officers take their positions.

8. New Business

Larry Jones asked if anyone would be interested in seeing posting of interest on the web page. The group was positive about items such as meetings of educational benefit, interesting projects within the chapter's borders, local legislation and other interesting topics concerning the building industry.

9. Legislative News

Nothing to report.

10. Code Issues

A new bill is being considered to put the responsibility of inspecting for lead based paint on the building inspection division. Joe Willer asked if any other jurisdictions allowed automatic pool covers in lieu of protective fencing. Some of the jurisdictions did in fact allow the pool covers so long as they were substantially constructed. The substitution was to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Joe also asked if a jurisdiction should verify the license and worker's compensation insurance for each permit, the consensus was yes. There was a spirited discussion on the legality of redlining plans when an architect or engineer, is involved in the design, and, wet stamps and wet signs the drawings.

11. Election of Officers

The secretary for the remainder of the year will fill the Vice President's position. Tom Carlton from Lakeport has volunteered to be nominated for an office next year.

12. Adjournment

M/s/Passed to adjourn the meeting at 2:41 P.M.

Respectfully submitted by Ed Henry