Minutes of the Meeting of Tuesday - July 13, 2004


1. Call to order

President Bill Schulze (Placer County), called the meeting to order at 12:10 P.M. at Cattlemen's Restaurant in Petaluma.

2. Self Introductions

President Schulze welcomed 31 attendees and called for self-introductions.

3. Approval of Minutes

Minutes for the June 1, 2004, meeting were posted at the website ( and e-mailed.

M(Cliff Castle)/S(Dave Martinez)/Passed to accept the minutes as posted.

4. Officers and Committee Reports

a. Treasurer

Mike Enright (City of Santa Rosa) reported that the balance of the checking account was $9,915 and the balance of the CD was $11,509.85. There are about $800.00 in outstanding checks to be issued.

b. Secretary

No report.

c. Vice President

No report.

d. President

No report.

e. Executive Committee

No report.

f. Education Committee

Ed Henry (County of Marin) reported that Marin County had recently hired a Disabled Access Coordinator and that an afternoon seminar on newly passed regulations was being considered. The tentative time frame is late August or early September.

g. Code Coordination Committee

No report.

h. ICC Liaison

No report.

i. CALBO Liaison

Dave Martinez (City of Santa Rosa) noted that the ICC Annual Business Meeting would be in Salt Lake City at the end of September.

j. Location Committee

Vice President Phillips presented the following schedule:

August 3         Osake Japanese Restaurant (Santa Rosa)
September 7    Washoe House


k. Donations Committee

Dave Martinez presented a request to donate $500.00 to the Back to School Program of the Salvation Army as was done in the previous year to support needy students with school supplies. The Committee agreed to review the request and present a recommendation at the August meeting. Discussion was held pertaining to the guidelines of the Committee and the scope of the donations. Ted Thorhaug reminded the group that he still had models that could be used in training inspectors and that financial support for those types of classes may be of interest to the Chapter. M(Ed Henry)/S(Joe Willer)/Passed to allow the Committee to expand the guidelines for making donations to allow for programs such as the Back to School Program. It was suggested that the Chapter consider supporting scholarships similar to what is done in some of the other chapters. President Schulze asked that the potential training related to the working models be pursued and that the engineering talent within the Chapter be utilized to help train new inspectors. He further suggested that the Chapter consider reaching out to high schools and other venues to take advantage of the knowledge base that exists within the Chapter.

5. Correspondence and Announcements

Information was received on ICC training. None is currently scheduled in California.

6. Legislative News

Doug Williams reported that the Fire Prevention Officers are following AB 2065 pertaining to the requirement for sprinklers in Licensed Care Facilities.

7. Code Issues

Guy Bachelis asked about nailing requirements (length) for re-roofing over and existing roof. It was suggested that the manufacturer’s specifications be consulted.

Discussion about penetrations in exit enclosures with T-Bar ceilings brought up by Bob LaRose (City of Petaluma). It was suggested that the topic be reviewed and discussed at future meeting.

8. Old Business

Dave Martinez updated the group on the topic of FEMA classes with State OES. The City of Santa Rosa has sent employees through the program and has developed a model ordinance for disaster preparedness. Dave offered to share a copy of the model ordinance. There are a variety of classes associated with the subject. Information will be available on the CALBO web site that was submitted by the City of Santa Rosa. Dave also offered to see about posting the information on the REACO web site.

It was suggested by Dave Martinez that the Chapter consider sponsoring an officer at the ICC ABM in Salt Lake City. President Schulze said that he would review the suggestion and put it on the agenda for the next meeting.

9. Program

Jerry Parks of the Western Wood Preservers Institute provided an informative update on new wood preservatives and a general overview of the industry, including the proper labeling of treated wood. Several slides were presented that documented the current state of the industry.

Steve Duddles of Simpson Strong-Tie provided some follow-up information on fasteners.

10. New Business

Ron Bergeson discussed the rewrite of Title 25 (State Housing Law Section) and provided copies for distribution. He requested that the documents be reviewed and that feedback be given to him. He also reported that the Straw Bale Association would be participating in the upcoming state meeting on the International Residential Code and that others would be welcome to attend.

11. Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 1:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Doug Williams