Minutes of the Meeting of Wednesday May 1, 2002

1. Call to order

President Chris Warrick, County of Mendocino called the meeting was called to order at 12:10 P.M. at The Quail Inn at the Oakmont Golf Center.

2. Self Introductions

Pres. Warrick welcomed 16 members and guest speaker Homer Yim, a representative of the Simpson Strong Tie Company.

3. Approval of Minutes

This time the corrections were taken over the net. Once again the minutes were emailed to the members and posted to our web site. The web site address is (

M/s/Passed to accept the minutes as distributed.

4. Program

Pres. Warrick introduced Homer Yim of the Simpson Strong Tie Company. He distributed catalogues in printed material and on disc. The disc included the European Catalogues. He then proceeded to present the new innovations by Simpson and specifically the hold down hardware and the new automatic take up device that maintains security on the bolts of the hold downs. He went through the catalogues and showed how the new items were distinguished from the usual listings. He showed how easy it was to find the new equipment. The presentation was informative and Mr. Yim brought enough printed material and discs to accommodate every one at the meeting.

5. Officers and Committee Reports

a. Treasurer

Tres.Willer, City of American Canyon, gave the balances as follows; the checking account balance is $991.04, the business account is $2688.58, the education fund is $3638.53 and the CD is $11,155.92.

b. Secretary

The secretary requested that any corrections to the minutes be emailed to him after receiving them and he would make the corrections prior to posting them to the website. He is still trying to get all of the email addresses correct so no one gets left out of the minutes and bulletins that are sent.

c. Vice President

Vice President Mary Jane Fagalde, County of Lake, was absent. No report.

d. President

President Warrick has nothing to report.

e. Executive Committee

Nothing to report.

f. Education Committee

Ed Henry, County of Marin reported that there are no educational programs scheduled. He distributed a letter from Dave Martinez, City of Santa Rosa, indicating that Mr. Martinez would contact the NFPA representative on setting up a cost free training seminar, course material and code books for any jurisdiction adopting the NFPA building and electrical codes. Mr. Martinez also committed the Santa Rosa meeting facility for REICBO to use at no charge. The seminar price was discussed, but we have yet to arrive at a price. We are looking to charge somewhere in the vicinity of $30.00 per seminar to cover lunch and breaks. The cost will be substantially higher for non-members. M/s/passed: To support Mr. Martinez in his effort to put together the NFPA Seminars. Don Morton sent the education committee a flyer from ICBO offering update seminars on the 2001 edition of the CBC. The seminar will cover the changes to the UBC adopted by the state for the California Building Code. The chairman expressed his thanks to both Dave and Don for their participation with the education committee.

g. Code Development Committee

Don Morton reported that the committee is moving along with the task of developing a regional standard code amendment package to standardize the amendment process to the California code for the Redwood Empire Chapter.

h. ICBO Committee

Nothing to Report.

i. CALBO Liaison

Nothing to report.

6. Correspondence and Announcements


7. Legislative News

Nothing to report.

8. Nominating Committee

Nothing to report.

9. Old Business

The location and price of our luncheons was discussed quite extensively and the secretary was directed by the chapter to reserve the Quail Inn for the next three months. After that time period we will discuss the location again and decide on what course to take. We then discussed the price of the luncheon and the inevitable price hike we are facing. After a substantial amount of discussion the chapter decided to raise the price of the luncheons. M/s/passed: To raise the cost of the lunches to $20.00 per person. In the interim it was suggested that the members continue to look for a central location with a private room and a price that would fit into our budget. A brief discussion by the group to move the July meeting ended with: M/s/passed: To move the July meeting to July 10th, the second Wednesday instead of the first Wednesday of the month.

10. New Business

Steve Jensen, County of Marin, reported that at the monthly meeting of the Marin-Sonoma Fire Protection Officers Association the fire personnel indicated an interest to combine and have a joint meeting within the next few months to discuss photovoltaic installations. Mr. Jensen indicated he would research the meeting times, dates and location for a joint meeting, lunch and program. He said he was in contact with Bill Brooks of the California State Energy Commission and Mr. Brooks would be interested in putting on a brief presentation and problem solving session for the group. Mr. Brooks is the one that presented the photovoltaic seminar at the Marin County Civic Center last year.

11. Code Issues

Tom Carlton, City of Lakeport, asked the group if any other jurisdiction has had a problem similar to his. A mobile home park was closed and the units removed. The property was then subdivided and new individual lots and streets were formed. The developer wants to use the existing sewer, water, gas and electrical lines underground. The lines are run randomly and cross many property lines and run into adjoining lots. Tom wants to know if it is possible to allow the lines of one property to cross another and run under other property owner's buildings.

There was quite a lengthy discussion with the consensus being that it may not be recommended, but is possible with the establishment of easements for each of the lines and recorded with each of the properties and the administrative authority. A survey shall be made identifying all of the piping lines and maps shall be created and filed with all the applicable agencies, individuals and jurisdictions. Larry Jones taped the showing of the collapse of the WTC and has added the tape to our library, if anyone wants to see it, get a hold of Larry Jones.

12. Adjournment

M/s/Passed to adjourn the meeting at 2:07 P.M.

Respectfully submitted by Ed Henry